Thursday, December 16, 2010

Football, Family, and Amil's Chili

When my husband Zach was younger, he has fond memories of getting together with family during football season. He's from Colorado, and the Denver Broncos have been his team since he can remember. He even remembers where he was, and how sad he was when John Elway announced his retirement.

There was one meal that he had often when his family got together to watch the Broncos... chili. It was a recipe from his Grandpa Amil, and it brings back memories when we have it today. I was so grateful when he shared this with me, and excited when I got the recipe from his mom several years back.

Now I'm excited to get to share it with you all! I'm actually making some today, and plan to bring half of the recipe to a fellow teacher that my husband works with. The great thing about this chili is that it freezes really well! It makes a great big batch, so it would be plenty to make one batch for both your family and the family you're bringing a meal to. Plus, it's the perfect time of year for some hearty, yummy chili!

AMIL'S CHILI 
4 regular cans of chili beans (or 2 big cans)
4 regular sized cans of diced tomatoes (or 2 big cans)
1 white onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork (I just usually use 1lb of whatever I have on hand- beef or turkey, and skip the pork)
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 cup (plus 1/8 cup more if you want it spicier) chili powder
Garnishes:
lettuce chopped
tomatoes chopped
sour cream
shredded cheese
extra onions, chopped
flour tortillas, buttered, warmed


-Brown beef and pork with the onions and green peppers, drain
-Add salt and pepper to taste
-In a big pot, add the beans and tomatoes with the beef mixture
-Add chili pepper (I usually just do the 1/8 cup first, then let others make it spicier in their own bowl if they want)
-Let simmer until green peppers are soft- 1hr or longer

Note: I'm using my crock pot with it today, and I will have it on low all day long to let the spices really get into the whole batch....

This is really, really yummy served with warm buttered flour tortillas to dip into the chili. We also serve it with lettuce, tomato, and cheese on top, plus a little dallop of sour cream. YUMMY, I can't wait for dinner!

No comments: